Stress: How to Beat it!
Stress. It's an intricate web of madness and often times is a silent monster that we don't know we have until it's too late. We all know that stress can affect our bodies in many different ways leaving us emotionally depleted, physically exhausted, and sometimes down-right blue. Stress is not only a mental monster, but it can also wreak havoc on your organs, cells, and skin. From breakouts, to puffy eyes and bellies, stress (often caused by internal and emotional inflammation) can leave us feeling detached, anxious, and feisty. In honor of National Stress Awareness Month, we have put together some tips to beat stress once and for all!
1. Breathe! This is the most important tip of all. Often when stress and anxiety kick in, our bodies go into fight or flight mode. With that, our breathing becomes staccato, causing our brains to lose out on vital amounts of oxygen. When you feel stress creeping up, remove yourself from your current environment and go someplace quiet and safe (like your staff bathroom or your car). Set your phone alarm for 5 minutes and get to breathing. Take steady, smooth breaths inhaling for a count of 7 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, then exhale nice and slow for 7 seconds. Do this for 5 minutes, focus only on your breath and start to feel the benefits of oxygen. *You may feel a little light headed at first, push through it and keep breathing.*
2. Harmonize! We feel so happy that we are able to provide you with a holistic way to combat stress and feel better. We love using Relax Harmonized Water and Inner Harmony Harmonized Water. Use these two together for a mid-day reset. Relax will help with the overall symptoms of stress while Inner Harmony will go deeper, helping to give your organs and cells a much needed boost.
3. Aromatherapy! Use essential oils to help calm your nerves and brain. We love these three oils for stress reduction: Lavender, Grapefruit, and Rose. Give yourself a whiff of each (separately) for a soothing scent break.
4. Dance! There is nothing better than an impromptu dance party. When you get home from work, crank some tunes (we suggest a fabulous 80's play list) and get down! After a long day, sometimes your body and muscles need to feel some love. Dancing is a great way to increase muscle memory and it gives your brain a break from thinking. So, don't worry about looking silly, just go for it. AND if you have a partner (or pet) at home, bring them in on the fun!
5. Visualize! Stress on your eyes happens every single day. From looking at a screen, to proofreading reports, your peepers put in a full day, everyday! Give them a break from relaying work related information to the brain by looking at images that make you feel happy. We love putting together a Pinterest board of images that just make us feel good. This can be anything from floral images, art, scenery or an Osmosis favorite... pictures of cats or dogs... or cats AND dogs together! Allowing yourself to take in some non-work related joy in the middle of the day lifts your spirits and gives your eyes and brain a little mid-day reset!
There you have it! 5 great tips to help you de-stress. Utilize these tips daily to start feeling lighter, happier, and healthier.
Learn where to shop for a stress-free day here.